I can't believe this week went by so slow yet so fast! I am approaching my last full week of school and welcome summer break with open arms. So much stress in our little field of education and I am sure we are not the only school feeling the effects of lower budgets and potential program cuts. I pray that we will survive this new "drama" and plan on relaxing my mind with numerous margaritas - lol!
But before I jump ahead to summer....let's enjoy the fabulous tastes of spring! A very special lil' lady generously gave me a large supply of rhubarb from her garden - thank you Sharon!! We don't grow it in ours, but I LOVE the tart taste of this yummy veggie. A true sour freak, I just love how rhubarb empowers just the right amount of WOWZA to awaken the senses. I decided to try a new recipe with this mother-load of goodness: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp! And I must say.....HOLY YUM! The strawberries added just enough sweetness - especially when paired with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I took pictures to show you some of the steps along the way (but forgot to take one when we were eating it...sigh). It is best served warm...Enjoy!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large zip loc bag, toss white sugar, 5 tablespoons flour, strawberries, and rhubarb. Place the mixture in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats until crumbly. You may want to use a pastry blender for this. Crumble on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and lightly browned.